Rich LoRusso Culinary Scholarship Award
Applicant must be a high school senior residing in the St. Louis metropolitan area seeking to enroll in an ACF (American Culinary Federation) accredited post-secondary culinary arts program and demonstrate a desire to continue studies in the field of foodservice and/or hospitality with an emphasis in cooking, baking or food and beverage.
Applicants will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Academic coursework completed and endorsement by high school officials.
- Extracurricular activities including sports, clubs, and other school activities.
- Volunteer work including community service and charitable activities.
- Previous experience working in a restaurant and an endorsement by supervisor.
- Other pertinent facts or circumstances the committee may wish to consider.
- Special consideration shall be given to applicants who have worked at an Italian restaurant located in the St. Louis metropolitan area.
The Rich LoRusso Scholarship Award Committee will review applications. If necessary, the scholarship committee may interview the most qualified applicants whether in person, via video call or conference call if possible. Applicants receiving this scholarship will be notified, in writing, and the check will be made payable in the applicant’s accredited culinary program and awarded at the IO annual awards dinner.
Should there be any unused portion of this scholarship grant, by virtue of the recipient’s withdrawal from school, the school shall return the remaining funds to the IO.
Application must be filled out completely and have all appropriate signatures. A transcript release is attached which must be signed and given to the appropriate school. At least one (1) letter of recommendation from teachers or present or past employers must be submitted. It is recommended applicant’s school and present or past employers, if applicable, provide references to attest to the student’s proficiency, aptitude, character, and general interest. No more than three (3) letters of recommendation will be accepted. Only those that have a complete application, transcript, personal statement, and letter of recommendation on file with the IO will be considered for this scholarship. Relatives of any IO board member are not eligible for this award.